Thursday, February 11, 2010

Parents doing the split custody thing long distance?

How do you cope with sending your child to be with the other parent? We just sent my step-daughter to her mother in another state yesterday and it tore us up. She's not mine biologically but it hurts so bad to know she won't be here for Christmas. We do have primary custody and that's by her mother's choice. Someone tried telling me to think of it like a vacation from the child...but I just can't seem to. I miss her so much.Parents doing the split custody thing long distance?
My daughter's spent every other weekend and half of her school holidays with her dad for the last 8 years and I STILL miss her when she goes!





Yes, its nice to have some time to do other stuff and not worry about her but its still tough. Especially during the holidays (we alternate Christmasses and birthdays).





I think the thing you have to focus on is that its best for the child to have a relationship with both parents and you are doing the best thing for your step daughter to encourage a relationship with her mother.





Do something special when she gets back though so that she knows you're pleased she's home.Parents doing the split custody thing long distance?
I don't know how people do it. My sister lives in another state from her two girl's father and I don't know how she can be away from them for a month in the summer and over some holidays like Christmas. I miss my kids when they go to their grandparents for the weekend once in a great while and when my oldest goes to his summer ocean camp for one week. I think I am going to have major empty nest syndrom when my kids grow up and move out LOL





I guess people just get used to it. My sister seems to view it as a nice break but I would go nuts. Thankfully my husband and I are together (12 1/2 years now) and happily married.
Fortunately me and my kids father live in the same state. But think of your step-daughter, and how she might feel and miss her mom. You can still call and wish her a Happy Christmas. I'm sure if you treat her as if she was your own that it won't feel like getting a break from her.
aaw bless of course youll be upset...i miss my daughter so much when she goes away for the weekend try and get on as best you can and keep reminding yourself she will be back before you know it,,,to celebrate christmas with you and hubby
Yeah my step-mom gets all emotional when her kids have to go to their dads place. She tries to keep busy when they aren't here. Sometimes she takes me to the spa with here or goes to mall to get some shopping done. Or has some alone time in the tub or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment