Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Is the signal too weak for my to split the cable between my internet and 3 tvs?

I have digital cable for my TV and internet. There is one cable line in my house which is split between 2 TVs and the modem. Last night I tried to split the cable again at the modem so I could connect another TV. The cable I used was a 50ft video cable (it was the only one I had handy, but I really only need about 2 feet of cable), but when I hooked it back up to the modem, I did not get any internet signal (which is usually very strong). What was my problem?? Would it maybe work if I used a shorter cable so the signal would not have to travel so far? Or a better quality cable splitter? Is there any hope? Thanks!Is the signal too weak for my to split the cable between my internet and 3 tvs?
I had the same problem and I had to get the cable company to put in a booster. It cost about $75 and works great. I had 2 modems and 3 TVs on it. I recently had to get another one for downstairs because of 1 more modem and 2 more TVs. It`s a one time charge so it`s not bad. PS I`m in Montreal so your prices may be cheaper.Is the signal too weak for my to split the cable between my internet and 3 tvs?
Go to Radio Shack and buy signal magnifier every thing will work fast.
I just had my cable hooked up and the cable guy said the Internet is on different frequency even though it still comes from the same cable line. Yours may be the same.
Your problem is likely your splitter as well as the long cable. The splitter is the greatest source of loss in any cable TV setup. Each connector also induces a small amount of loss. So if the cable you used was old and had ends that might have been in poor shape then you will end up inducing more loss than would a new connector. The splitter you use should support no more than the required number of cable outputs. So if you only need two then you should definitely only use a splitter with two outputs. So if you have a spare splitter try that first but definitely use a shorter cable.
Smaller Cables. But i would suggest running a new cable one for your tv's and one for the net alone (For best results).

No comments:

Post a Comment