Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I split my broadband bandwidth?

I want to play PC games online with 2 computers on my broadband connection but whenever I try to, one computer cuts out the other and gets all the bandwidth. I have a Line Splitter so that both are connected to the router via Ethernet cables and I was just wondering how to distribute the bandwidth evenly between the two computers.


ThanksHow do I split my broadband bandwidth?
Search for 'Bandwidth Manager'. I forgot the name of the site. You can buy it or use the cracked version. It will just split the bandwith as required by you.How do I split my broadband bandwidth?
You can not spilt an internet line like a tv line, it does not work the same way. You can one of two things.


1) If you have an extra Network Interface Card (NIC) in one of the computers, you can connect the modem to one computer then another ethernet cable between the two computers. Then you would use the wizard in My Network Places to configure them properly. Now I am not 100% sure on this, but I think a regular ethernet cable will do for this (a regular one being a straight through ethernet cable) but if it does not work then a cross-over ethernet cable is needed. If the straight through does work, then thats great but the cross-over cable also allows you share files between your computer. Cross-over and straight through cables cost about the same amount or the cross-over cable is a little more expensive. (To help you more in this, cross-over cables are usually yellow but as long as the packaging says cross-over then the colour of the casing doesn't matter)





2) Buy a regular router. It can be a wireless one or non-wireless one. Keep in mind that the wireless one has the same features as a non-wireless router except it is wireless. You can even shut off the wireless on the router if you want. All you do to setup up this situation is connect the modem to the router then the PCs to the router. There will be configuration needed but the routers will come with manuals and online support as well if you need help. I recommend either D-Link or Linksys routers. I personally like Linksys routers and its configuration wizard is easier to use, making your life easier.
Make sure both computers are connected to a switch and not a hub. Windows QOS packet scheduler will then manage the data transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment